Hospitality and Outreach
The Ambassador program is also focused on creating a more welcoming Downtown environment for all residents, workers, and visitors through hospitality and outreach efforts. Ambassadors walk the Downtown on a regular schedule providing a friendly source of directions, information, and assistance for the residents, visitors, merchants, business owners, and the general public. And Ambassadors provide social service outreach and referrals, and act as eyes and ears for public safety. Specifically, Ambassador responsibilities include:
- Provide hospitality by offering directions, information, and escort services especially for the arts venues, including the Welcome Kiosk located in BART Plaza.
- Support merchantsby addressing their concerns and needs for service.
- Provide outreach for social servicesto homeless and other populations, in concert with Berkeley Health Department’s Mental Health Division and other social service agencies.
- Report on blight issuesto City of Berkeley Department of Public Works and other relevant departments, including safety hazards, property damage, broken street lights, graffiti, campsites, landscaping issues, abandoned bikes and news racks, etc.
- Support marketing effortsof the DBA including staffing kiosks, distributing promotional materials, and assisting at events.
- Address problematic street behavior through education, outreach, and reminders of local ordinances regarding smoking, noise, open containers, aggressive panhandling, sleeping during prohibited times, trespassing, etc. Also, support merchants and other stakeholders in dealing with challenging street behaviors.
- Litter pick-up and incidental cleaning in path of travel and reporting to supervisor major cleaning projects.