The Downtown Berkeley Association (DBA) is an independent nonprofit organization, funded by Downtown Property Owners and other sources, focused on creating a welcoming, vibrant and prosperous City Center.
Our Environment Enhancement Services include cleaning, hospitality, outreach, beautification by a team of Downtown Ambassadors. Our Economic Enhancement Services include marketing, communications, event and business support.
The DBA is Owner’s Association for the Downtown Berkeley Property-Based Business Improvement District (PBID), (Link to PBID page) representing 187 property owners and approximately 680 of their merchant and business tenants. The DBA was originally formed in 1989 as Main Street project with voluntary dues. In the 1990’s, the DBA became a Business Improvement District (BID) funded by a surcharge on all business licenses. In 2012 the PBID replaced the BID to bring sufficient funding and focus on key strategic issues in the Downtown.
DBA priorities for our 2015 Strategic Plan area as follows:
- Make downtown safer and more welcoming with an emphasis on reducing homelessness and disruptive street behaviors
- Improve cleaning in Downtown (particularly in light of recent drought)
- Fill vacant storefronts and support local businesses.
- Invest in place-making, defined as both capital improvements and programming, to create better public amenities and more walkable, bikeable streets;
- Improve the parking experience for residents, visitors and employees.
- Increased advocacy with City and other agencies and stakeholders
The Downtown Berkeley Association provides leadership to create and sustain a welcoming, vibrant, and prosperous city center.